March 3, 2014

Mark Snyder Performance

Instead of having class today (Monday), we were assigned to go to a concert preformed by Mark Snyder. Mary does not create the typical kinds of music in which we would hear on the radio, rather he makes electroacoustic music and multimedia. Within this music, he plays everyday instruments such as the tuba, clarinet, and guitar and mixes them with prerecorded sounds and imagery in the background.

I did not know what to expect when going into this show. I thought it was going to be more upbeat music. Whenever I hear "electro" i automatically think of some sort of dance music. Yet, what he played was so much different. His music was very slow and had a greater and deeper meaning behind each song. He performed a variety of different songs for us using various instruments.

Yet, my favorite song he played for us was titled Harvey. The story behind the song was so emotional and it enhanced the music so much. This song was dedicated to a close friend of Marks who, along with his family, was murdered in Virginia. The song came out to be so emotional and touching and I could tell that this was a very important song for Mark being that he worked on it for a long time in order to perfect it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the music he played and it showed me how music can be so different than the songs we hear on the radio. This was something like I have never seen or heard.

For Marks page, visit : http://marklsnyder.com/Mark/Audio.html

No comments:

Post a Comment