February 1, 2014

Madama Butterfly Animation

I, personally, throughly enjoyed this animation.

Unfortunately, I am not a big opera person and most of the time I have a hard time understanding what is going on in operas. I'm not sure if it is because of the language barrier due to many operas being in different languages, or if it is the fact there is no talking, which to me is the greatest form of communication.

Many operas are long and I tend to lose focus when watching them, yet since this animation was short I was able to stay highly engaged in it. Not knowing much about Madama Butterfly and the story, this was very interesting for me to watch. The story itself really saddened me, especially the ending. I felt bad she waited the whole time for the captain to come back, only from him and his new wife to take Madama's child away.

It was interesting to see the suicide scene also. At first, I could not tell if the animation was trying to portray that she was broken from all of the distraught or if she was literally killing herself. I believe that it was both and the animation could not have done a better job of showing this.

All in all, after watching this, the story interests me and I would love to see it. The animation was great and got the point of the story across in a manner that everyone could understand what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment