February 3, 2014

Class Today

Today in class we continued to discuss broadway and its history. This was a very special class for me and it brought back many memories of my childhood. It was touching to see some of the videos we watched in class today. Since we are on the topic of broadway, I wanted to share some of my favorite musicals and the memories going along with them. From when I can remember, my family has been obsessed with broadway musicals. Though at a very young age, I still remember the first play I ever went too. As a surprise one day, my parents decided to take my sister and I to see our favorite movie live. And this play was Annie. I remember being in awe seeing this live and to this day it remains one of my favorite musicals.



Another play of my childhood was The Lion King. I was able to see this in Chicago, and once again, I was blown away by the great number of performers and the monstrosity and details of the set.

Throughout the years, I have seen many different plays with my family including Legally Blonde The Musical, Wicked, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Rent, Mamma Mia, Beauty and the Beast, Cats, and many more.

Another great memory I have with musicals is with The Sound of Music. I watched the movie once and fell in love with it immediately. I was so young and so obsessed I made my dad write the lyrics to Do-Re-Mi on a sheet of paper so I could memorize the words and sing along. I would then make him watch the movies for days and weeks straight, eventually learning all of the songs and lyrics. This movie is one of our family favorites.

When I was in grade school, the movie Hairspray came out on my birthday. So, of course, for my birthday party all my friends and I went to see it on opening night. Once again, it became one of my favorites and a popular favorite among all of my friends also. After the movie ended, we got home and listened to the songs all night. Then, that Christmas, my parents bought tickets for me and a few friends to go see the play live. After seeing the movie so many times, it was breathtaking to finally see it live. I really enjoy all of the songs, yet who doesn't love You Can't Stop the Beat. The play is so colorful and vibrant, it will always be one of my favorites. 



Finally, Les Miserables is the last one I have seen and the one that has effected me the most. Not knowing much about the musical other then that it is my dads favorite play, we all went to see the movie on Christmas Day when it came out. I was absolutely blown away. I had never seen anything like it. I loved how all of the characters are intertwined together and it told a great story of the French Revolution. My sister and I were both astounded, honestly. Then for Christmas this year, my parents and sister surprised me with front row tickets to see the play. I was amazed once again and it was spectacular to finally see it live. This play is our family favorite by far. We laughed together and we cried together during it. I'm happy I enjoy it as much as my dad did because as a child I would laugh at him for liking plays, especially this one. I know now, though, that plays are so influential and have really changed my life and they gave me a new appreciation for acting and the time and work put into shows. 




All in all, every musical film or broadway play I have seen has touched me in some way. I have so many memories linked with each one I have seen and they will continue to be one of my favorite things to watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment